Sunday 7 April 2013

How to get things done?

One of the aspects I have found very challenging about being chronically sick is that it impedes my ability to get things done.

What I look at day-in-day out = The View From My Bed

When you are first ill, you are in the acute stage and probably don't even know what's wrong, so you abandon things - nothing matters, except figuring out what is wrong and 'sorting it out' AKA getting cured.

Eventually, at some point, if you are sick for years, all manner of things need to be done. You find yourself in a kind of 'backed-up' zone of all the things you have been too sick to attend to. This is especially true if you live alone, or even if you live with someone else, if they are not your partner then... things still need to be getting sorted out...

I have a list as long as my arm... actually longer, of tasks; some of them are mundane, routine, boring and others are more entertaining. I tend to pick the latter over the former - when you are going to use precious energy, and cause yourself pain and worsened energy depletion (fatigue), then the nice stuff comes first. Unfortunately, try as I might, this list does not seem to be getting any shorter! As I get things checked off, my brain slowly starts to remember other things to add to the list. It is beyond frustrating.

Given the fact that I have had the flu, and am still recovering from that, plus battling the ongoing sinusitis, I pretty much went back to my 'acute' state and abandoned the list. I definitely needed to do that. The downside being that now I am drowning... mentally mainly, in the awareness of what I must conquer... all these chores and projects. For example, I need to order an under-duvet-cover to protect my duvet. This has been on the list for a while. It requires firing up the laptop, locating such an item for a good price, finding a credit card, entering all the info (I hate that part!), and completing the transaction... I find that takes me so long, it puts me off doing it. Another example: my desk needs clearing and dusting, but I know that doing so also means I will find lots of things to file, which actually creates another job!

So all these chores, are just extra chores, outside of the normal ones... and I find it hard enough to do the normal ones - so I still don't know how to get all these things done without making myself worse or driving myself crazy!

Anyway, aside from that issue, I have been slowly doing more again. I am back on high-dose vitamin C, Acai capsules, and obviously still taking the LDN. I need to restart multi vitamin/mineral as well as vitamin D. I feel better for trying to do things, because I realise that I get so bored, I become depressed. On Friday I went with my mum to our local market town, and we browsed a bit and had some lunch, before buying a few groceries. It felt so good to get out - I had 'cabin fever'. Problem is, I feel so depleted of energy now and I was having those POTS standing symptoms while looking at stuff in shops (standing).

Today, I have been doing a few 'tasks' from the aforementioned list and resting in-between because tomorrow I am going to meet up with my friend, who I have not seen for years (we were both busy working/studying and then being sick) who, since I last saw her, has developed M.E.



No comments:

Post a Comment