Sunday 5 May 2013

My TV died... and so did my hen!

The week that has just passed was not bad, per se... it was quite good, but two things happened that were sad:

Dottie, RIP

First thing: my favourite chicken died. Dottie my favourite because she was the tamest and she used to talk constantly, which was very cute. She would come and eat dried mealworms out of my hand, all the time giving a little hen commentary, while the other hens looked on jealously because they are not so brave... eventually one of them would pluck up the courage to join her. The thing that is sad about her death is that she was not old: only 3. She died peacefully, with her little eyelids closed shut. My dad found her on the lawn... just lying there. I cried some tears and then had a bath and tried not to think about it.

Secondly, my TV died. I have a TV in my bedroom because so much of my life is spent in or on my bed. I otherwise am not an advocate of bedroom TVs, but without one in here I would a. miss out on shows that I find quite informative, b. die of boredom, and c. - heaven forbid - be stuck to my laptop (which is very draining for me) watching catch-up shows. So yeah, the TV was an oldish one... oldish in my TV-age-analysis is anything over 10 years; mine must be at least 12 because I remember having it when I was about half-way through college. Funny thing is, it's a really random brand that I have never heard of and I am sure it was bought in Lidl!! It has lasted quite well, all things considered.

So anyway, I banged the set, and tried fiddling around unplugging and replugging it, and... nada. After I finally admitted defeat, I decided to look online the next day at TVs. Well, TVs are a lot more expensive than I remember... even a small-ish one, which doesn't really exist anymore... 19 inches is generally the smallest, although there was a random one that was something like 15.something. I remember you could get a TV for 50 or 60 pounds. Now it's 90, or more likely 110 or more. I am still searching, although I am not sure what I would even consider payable right now. I don't really have 'spare' money. I already put off buying a HR monitor as I realised I have a couple of birthdays, father's day, and my dog's vaccinations to pay for over the next few months, as well as all the usual stuff like parrot toys (they get through them!), pet insurance, and the monthly credit card payment... so a TV is not really happening. Argh. I guess I should have set up a 'rainy day' fund. Maybe this is my prompting!

No comments:

Post a Comment