Sunday 9 December 2012

LDN ~ Low Dose Naltrexone

I decided to try taking Low Dose Naltrexone in the hope it might help me.

A little background - I have been chronically sick since 1991. I suffer from mixture of problems, but the main ones I am hoping might be helped by LDN are autoimmune thyroid disease and M.E. (CFIDS).

LDN is typically taken at night. I take mine between 10.30-11 p.m. I started with 0.75 mg and am now taking 1 mg. It seems as if when I take a new dose - i.e. initial dose and this increase to 1 mg - I end up having a day of intense exhaustion. To the point where, with this increase to 1 mg, I have spent the day bedbound feeling very unwell.

Despite knowing that LDN can promote initial herx reactions, I never expected to become completely and utterly incapacitated by it. I thought herx might mean headaches and nausea or something along those lines. This total crash is horrible, as on a normal, good day I usually get up for a bit and get something done, and spend then rest of the time up (as in dressed and downstairs), but either seated or lying down.

Obvious reactions -

The obvious reactions I had with my initial dosing were:

Night sweats
Mucus shifting
Feeling bouts of extremely hot or flushed (despite it being actually very cold)
Headache the first night

Goods signs:

Couple of nights with deeper sleep and only waking up once!
Managed to do more for 2 days

Bad signs:

Extreme exhaustion
Fitful sleep
Lead weight feeling

So, I am hoping that once my body acclimatises to this 1 mg, I can have some more of those 'doing more' days. If I can get to next Saturday having recovered from this feeling and be back to my normal with some additional energy, I will be VERY pleased!

Back to lying down for me now...

No comments:

Post a Comment